1. The pastor of the Church of the Resurrection officiates at the funerals of the parishioners. The pastor may delegate another priest or a deacon to officiate at a funeral if he is unable to do so or for pastoral reasons.
2. Generally, the Funeral Mass for a deceased member of the parish will be celebrated at the parish church. A Funeral outside of Mass may be celebrated at another location with the permission of the pastor.
3. The Church of the Resurrection will make a reasonable effort to respond to the request of a family requesting a funeral even if they are not members of the parish.
4. The Funeral of a family member of a parishioner who is a member of another faith tradition may be celebrated without a Mass. If the person is not baptized, neither holy water nor the pall will be used since they are both symbols of baptism.
5. If the deceased is to be cremated, it is recommended that the cremation take place after the funeral. However, if the body was cremated before the funeral, the ashes may be brought to church for the funeral. The ashes should, however, be intered as soon as possible after the funeral.
1. The Mass of Christian Burial or the Funeral Rite Outside of Mass will follow regulations found in the Order of Christian Funerals.
2. Readers of Sacred Scripture must be practicing Catholics or baptized into the Christian faith.
3. Family members are encouraged to suggest music and scripture readings for the Funeral Rite. The final decision on music will be made by the parish music director.
4. During the funeral, recorded music may not be used.
5. The family is encouraged to choose a spokesperson to speak for the family before the final Commendation. If there are other speakers, it should be limited to 2 or 3.
1. The Rite of Committal is the conclusion of the funeral rites and may be celebrated beside the open grave or place of interment.
2. If the body is to be cremated, the ashes should be buried or entombed as soon as possible.
(please click on the link below)
1619 California Ave.
Cincinnati, OH 45237
The Church of the Resurrection is an urban Catholic community with people of diverse economic and cultural backgrounds, who have come together to serve God through various ministries and outreach programs. We encourage love of all God’s people by promoting spiritual growth through the love of God and the teachings of Christ Jesus through the Gospels. We stand firm in our beliefs.